As the leaves turn orange and yellow outside, so do the ingredients in my grocery cart.
It’s finally the time of the year where I get to make my delicious vegan pumpkin pasta, a favourite in my house.
Though it may look like Mac and Cheese, it is definitely not. It’s more like Mac and Cheese’s sophisticated, healthier Aunt that they don’t get to see often because she’s busy saving the environment.
This dish has 9 ingredients and none of them are animal protein or byproduct. It’s a cruelty-free, guilty-free delicious meal that is made with fresh ingredients (no canned purees or processed faux-cheeses). It looks like only two ingredients but has magic powers hiding in its simple, yellow sauce.
So what is hiding? Other than real roasted pumpkin, garlic, onions, cold press olive oil, cinnamon, pink Himalayan salt, coconut milk… a big, fresh piece turmeric.
Turmeric’s most active compound is curcumin. This power duo has several scientifically-proven health benefits, like heart-happy elements which means it has the potential to prevent heart disease. It is scientifically proven to have the potential to reduce risks of Alzheimer’s and cancer. It’s a nutrient-dense anti-inflammatory antioxidant that can also help relieve arthritis pain.
As some of my readers know, I suffer from an ulcerative gastrointestinal disease. The main symptom is severe inflammation in my digestive tract. I use turmeric for its incredible anti-inflammatory properties, which are studied as a possible treatment for irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
Turmeric supports immune health and I always try to add a fresh piece to my morning Vitamin C smoothie.
In this case, it adds tremendous nutritional value to my pumpkin pasta dish while also adding brightness to this beautiful yellow sauce. It really taste, smells and feels like Fall. So get to roasting and let your house be taken over by the beautiful smell of pumpkin season.
– 2 tablespoon cold press olive oil
– 1 clove of garlic, minced
– 1 small white onion, chopped
– 1 piece of fresh turmeric, chopped
– Cinnamon and/or pumpkin spice (to taste/preference)
– Pink Himalayan Salt
– 1 small pumpkin
– 1 can organic coconut milk
– 1 bag of vegan pasta (without eggs or milk, check the ingredients list)
1. Cut your pumpkin in half as straight as possible so both halves can lay face down on a baking sheet. Remove seeds.
2. Use one tablespoon of olive oil to brush the flesh of the pumpkin that you will place (oil side down) on the sheet. Stab the outside of the pumpkin with a knife or fork, carefully, a few times to create holes through the skin.
3. Put in the oven for 45 minutes (350oF or 176oC).
4. When your pumpkin is almost ready, add the other tablespoon of olive oil to a pan. Sweat the onion (cook until soft to draw out the water and natural sweetness but without it changing colour)
5. Add the garlic, turmeric, cinnamon, pumpkin spice and salt to the mix. Spice it up as you like.
6. Boil your pasta.
7. Remove the peel from the pumpkin and add the roasted flesh to the pan. Mix the spices, garlic, turmeric and pumpkin together until the pumpkin chunks are super easy to break with a spoon.
8. Add coconut milk and whisk until the milk is yellow/orange and thickening.
9. Pour the mixture in a food processor or high speed blender. Blend your sauce on high and strain the pasta once cooked.
10. Pour sauce over pasta and mix well. Top with pumpkin spice, salt and/or pepper as you please.
This makes about four bowls.